With Whitby being a famous seasside town it’s no surprise that at one point we even had our own hospital specifically for seamen.
The hospital didn’t just act as a place that sailors and fisherman would be treated and cared for by doctors but it was also a safe haven for the widows of seamen and a school for their children.
The hospital was founded in 1675, by ship owners, but the building that still stands in Whitby and acted as the hospital at one time wasn’t founded until the eighteenth century. A famous Whitby family member, W.A. Headlam, was a chairman of the hospital for many years and the responsibly then went down to his son who took care of the hospital for a further fifty years.